Headache is a common condition that most of deal with due to different reasons. The good thing is there are several simple things you can do to ease the pain without necessarily taking a trip to the hospital.
Try these tips:
- Try a cold pack/compress: If you have a migraine, place a cold pack on your forehead or around your neck. This helps to decrease inflammation and constricts blood vessels all of which helps reduce the headache.
- Use a hot compress: If you have a tension headache, place the heating pad on your neck or the back of your head. If you have a sinus headache, hold a warm cloth to the area that hurts. A warm shower is also advisable
- Minimize stress: Once you are down with a headache, take a break from whatever is stressing you out at that point and relax. Avoid noisy environments, just relax.
- Get some caffeine: Taking beverages that contain caffeine such as tea or coffee, may provide you relief when you are experiencing headache. Caffeine helps improves mood, and increases alertness all of which can have a positive effect on headache. However, be mindful of your caffeine intake as it has been shown to cause headaches if a person regularly consumes large amount of caffeine and suddenly stops.
- Dim the lights: Bright lights, even from your computer screen can cause headache. If you are prone to them, it’s advisable to dim the lights or add anti-glare screen to your computer.
- Massage: A few minutes of massaging your neck and temples can help ease a tension headache which may result from stress.
- Medication: Over-the-counter pain relief medicine such as Sudrex provides fast relief to headaches.
Headache can certainly put your activities on hold till you are feeling better, but getting the right treatment can help you feel better. Instead of struggling through the day with a headache, take out time to take care of yourself. #WinyourDay